Saturday, February 19, 2011

Life Goals: Aurora Borealis


Aurora Borealis timelapse HD - Tromsø 2010 from Tor Even Mathisen on Vimeo.

When I saw this while browsing through astronomy pictures earlier, I was speechless - my silence was one of awe and appreciation.  Aside from the auroras, you will towards the end of the video the stars traverse through the sky(and a falling star, too) - something quite magical, in my opinion. It reminded me how little I am compared to the whole Universe, but I did not despair. I embraced it. It made me appreciate how beautiful existence is. It is sad, too, since we humans, in our greed, disregard this.

I hope I get the chance to see them for myself one day. I am also wary of being moved to tears when I finally get to do so, nevertheless, I would like it to happen.

Man, now I really want to get the chance to work at National Geographic someday. I might not get the chance to fulfill my dream of becoming an astronaut, but getting into Nat. Geo. would be one of the closest ways I'll get to that dream. I guess I'll start by learning how to take really good pictures. As for that amateur telescope, I will find a way.



I found this treasure here. See more astronomy pictures at NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day!

4 comments:

  1. apparently a solar flare a few days ago produced "aurora borealis" like effects in clear, cloud-free tropical skies at sunset and dawn. naturally, with clouds blocking, i was unable to verify NASAs claims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I would've loved to see them! it would be nice if things like this get advertised more over the internet and the media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ang dondooooo... waaaah.. para akong maiiyak. Pero parang sa gabi bakit wala din akong nakikitang ganyan..puro kadiliman lang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kasi sa bandang north/south pole lang ang mga auroras, kamila. ang ganda talaga nila. gusto ko talagang makakita ng auroras!

    ReplyDelete