Monday, February 7, 2011

7-8-9


This was supposed to be 9, but I was away enjoying the mundane things life has to offer(har har), and so failed to write it. Let it be known that the legacy of 9 lives on here, in 7. Confused? Well...just let it slide.

I enjoyed reading The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. Yes. Neil Gaiman. You see, reader, I was visited by the entire family over the weekend. I suppose the visit can be considered the culmination of a new chapter in our family's lives, given that my father and mother, bless them both, agreed to forgive and forget and let go of all the past grievances last year. My younger sister and younger brother asked our parents to buy books for them at National Bookstore. I've no qualms with that - it's one of my positive influences on those two, the love for books and reading and to certain extents, writing. I was pleasantly surprised when my brother showed me the book he got - The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. I could have jumped for joy! I was happy with his choice. I hope his taste for books and authors improve over the coming years, too. You see, this is my brother's first book. Most of the books he's read are mine(The Harry Potter Series, e-books of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors, Tolkien's LOTR, and a few others), or that of our sister(39 Clues series, Uglies Series, and others), or the library's. My sister's new book was a compilation of Sherlock Holmes stories, which was good, really, given that I have never even read a single Sherlock Holmes story.I dunno, I just don't feel the book(or a few other 'classics'), if you get what I mean.

Since they were set to return to Bohol on Sunday afternoon, I had to finish my brother's book fast. It was good. The illustrations complemented the entire work, really. I also liked how each of the chapters can pass for stand-alone short stories, but I digress. Don't let the fact that the books is considered a children's book(for childrens aged 10 and up according to the cover), but don't ever let that birth doubts within you. This book is a gem - if you try to over-analyze read closely, you'll find real treasures: points to ponder about life and living and solitude and the company of others, etcetera, etcetera. 

Trust me. So, go grab a copy NOW.

"Truly, life is wasted on the living, Nobody Owens. For one of us is too foolish to live, and it is not I."
-Liza, the Graveyard Witch , The Graveyard Book


P.S.

I particularly liked how Neil Gaiman started the book:
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.


P.P.S.
Look at the title! See what I did there?! 7-8-9! Get it?! 7 eight 9. 7 ate 9, and now they are one. HA HA. HAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHA. 

Okay. I'm gonna stop now.

6 comments:

  1. Hey I didn't know na taga-Bohol ka rin pala. (Or wait, do I, already?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you several months back, sir Mcvie! hahahaha, uyyy, may makakalimutin. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my favorite work of gaiman's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gillboard: this is cliche but... -fb like-

    ReplyDelete