Saturday, January 29, 2011

I Write Like...

I was browsing through Sir Joel McVie's blog, The McVie Show, when I came across his I Like " I Write Like" entry.

I decided to try it out myself and yielded the following results:



I write like
H. P. Lovecraft
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!
 

Glass, my post which has been read and commented the most, appeared to had a lot of similarities with H.P. Lovecraft's style. I blame Neil Gaiman for this, given that I have yet to read a work by Lovecraft himself. Gaiman has always claimed Lovecraft to be one of his greatest influences, so yeah, I'm blaming him. I am happy because I consider Glass to be my best work so far as it's the most honest entry I've written - I literally bared my soul for anyone who cared to read - and the fact that it was similar but not wholly alike with Lovecraft, and in turn, Gaiman's style is something big for me. It's what how I've wanted to write after being exposed to Gaiman. It's a path towards my own style. This Dawn Ramble apparently has similarities with Lovecraft's style. I still have to figure that out.



I write like
Ursula K. Le Guin
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Apparently, Catharsis: I has similarities with Ursula K. Le Guin's style. I admit, her name only instills very vague memories, so I had to turn to Wikipedia for help. I know I've encountered her works at Fully Booked, but I'm guilty of not opening them. I'm not that much of a fan of science fiction, and ironically, Miss Le Guin is one, as well as Lovecraft. Pandora's Box also yielded the same result.



I write like
Arthur Clarke
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Catharsis: II, a continuation of Catharsis: I, has similarities with Arthur Clarke. Again, I had to look him up on Wikipedia. Don't I feel so ignorant? This makes three science fiction writers. I blame my choice of words for all of them!



I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Fox: I, an unfinished work, had similarities with David Foster Wallace, who didn't write science fiction. Thank goodness for the change, which I attribute to the way I stripped down the narrative. It's more blunt compared to the Glass and Catharsis, which is natural, given that I wrote this when I got fed up with the many false trappings I had to endure then, but I digress.



I write like
Cory Doctorow
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Silence: I, another unfinished work which I wrote when a good friend decided to give me the cold shoulder for the foreseeable future because her boyfriend asked her to, had similarities with Cory Doctorow's style, and the reason is yet a mystery to me. Maybe it was because I was talking of Harry Potter?!

The list could go on, but I'd like to stop here. What about you?

Who do you write like?

No comments:

Post a Comment