Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dawn Ramble: "Talagang product ka nang public school."/ "You really are a product of a public school."

http://fvdb.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/cut-the-education-budget/#comment-6068

If this person's life were to turn upside-down, I doubt he'd survive poverty. Right now, my ire is too overwhelming for me to write a coherent post. This comment is an eye-opener. I knew that privileged people tend to look down on the less privileged ones, but this one is just too much. It reeks of arrogance, indifference, and selfishness. The quoted part is in itself enough to not only raise eyebrows but also heat hearts, too. Coming from a public school, I always took pride in the fact that the experiences related to material lack which I went through in high school will not be surpassed by those gone through by students from private schools. Why? Because those things were a taste of the hardships poverty dumps on the shoulders of the poor and the less privileged. It opened me to the realities of the world. Suffice to say that it drastically decreased my being materialistic. It introduced me to the bliss that comes from helping people. Nothing can compare with that good feeling after helping someone out. I am not talking about material help - I'm talking about all forms of help that we can give to our less privileged brothers and sisters.

Before I encountered that post above, I was really uninterested in the terms 'capitalist' and 'capitalism', now it's an entirely different story. The link above will direct you to an article which is ire inducing. I could care less for all the books the author and his supporters have read, and all the articles he's written. I think what matters most when one aims to better the society he lives in is his ability to empathize and provide solutions. There are always exceptions to the rules, especially when the rules are made by humans - imperfect, and as my Economy teacher put it, "self-interested." It is no wonder therefore that Mother Theresa, Ghandi, and a lot of other people, are revered. It takes a lot to transcend over one's wants and reach out to help those in need of help.

We are a nation in need of change. We are a nation of democracy. We are a nation of people with different interests and perspective, we should all then work together instead of bicker with each another to find the middle ground between a lot of extremes. We have no right to belittle others because of their backgrounds. We have no right to act high and mighty because we are in positions of wealth and power. We have no right to drag other people down. We have no right ground others to dust. No. We have no right to claim superiority over others when our own existences are mere fruits of chance. Chance it was that we championed over others during the race to the egg cell. Chance it was that we were born healthy. Chance it was that we have our senses intact. Chance it was that we were born with silver or rusted spoons in our mouths. Everything we possess was at the mercy of Chance at one or many points in time. Sure, others may claim to have bettered their lives through their efforts, but even then, their success was a product of chance. Had one variable been off, who knows how things may have turned out for them?

Chance. That is what people are asking for - better chances. A chance to at least be in control over one crucial variable for success - Education. I myself am against all forms of unessential budget cuts to the education sector, having experienced the many short-comings brought about by corruption and inefficient management within and without the educational system, but I digress. My point here is that in the debate of the merits and demerits of this budget cut, let us all not hit below the belt. Name-callings and labels and prejudice will only get you nowhere nearer towards the best possible middle ground for all.

In a matter that requires critical thinking and analysis, I think we're all doing a bad job, however in the area of passionate teleserye-esque catfights, I think we're winging it. Now more than ever are we in need of minds who think outside the box, failing that, we need those who can and will think analytically.

We need to open and broaden our minds, lest we become trapped in a stalemate: a stalemate with progress.


--------

Sorry folks, I had to let that out. "Talagang product ka nang public school." Seriously. How close-minded can people get?

From my Facebook

5 comments:

  1. Yes you're right that unabashed name-calling is infuriating. Not all private schools are supposed to be superior. Someone should knock this guy(?) off his high horse and show him what kind of education he got from his school: clearly he did not learn any social graces at all.

    That comment is one big mark of bad breeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. that's a terrible comment if i ever saw one. scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glentot: My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately guys like him oft learn from experience best, read: karma. They tend to not listen to others because their minds are closed. Yep, he's definitely been bred badly.

    @citybuoy: It's very terrible. And it did make me want to go askjdbnajfcnasljc but after exhausting my ire and indignation, I realized it was useless. One musn't waste energy on people who won't listen! :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right! I couldn't have said it better myself! But nincompoops will always be nincompoops! Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lasher: Yeah, sad but true. Cliche!

    ReplyDelete